Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hairy Larry and his Pee Pee Making Machine

This morning at around 2 am my oldest dog, whom I nicknamed Hairy Larry, was coughing and so, I knew that yes, I was bad and should have given him is Benadryl before bed.  I forgot.  So, I was woken up to him hacking.  I had to go downstairs to get his meds.  No one sleeps when he hacks and coughs and gags...poor old doggie. So, I went downstairs to get his cheese and meds.  I had to let him  out of his kennel so, he could go get his water.  He drinks like a camel and loads himself up with the pee pee juice. 
 
I was in the middle of a totally bizarre dream when I hear him whining and crying...remember the pee pee juice from 2 am, it had managed to make it's way through his body and had hit is bladder by the time I was in the midst of my dream.  I popped up out of bed, opened his kennel, opened the other two kennels for the other two doggies and ran down the stairs, or pretty much limped down the stairs...bad back.  Trying to work out my kinks and move as fast as I could for a person in my condition.  I get the back door open and out he goes.

I gave him his morning dose of his meds...it makes his life easier until he goes back to the vet to figure out what is going on with him.  We have been through antibiotics with him, thinking it may have been something bacterial.  Nope, that didn't work, I think he has a serious allergy to cedar because when it has been high around here, his coughing with the meds has been worse.  I know how he feels. 

I am starting to think he is asthmatic in his old age.  He is 13 years old.  His heart is strong but, he has skin allergies, and we have him on a special dog food that has no grains.  He can't even get near rice, he tries to tear his skin off, he itches so badly. 

My vet has let me know that since he has gotten older, he is more susceptible to having severe allergies.  It is all part of having a geriatric dog.  I have two geriatric doggies.  They are the best and both of them were shelter rescues.  They make the best dogs in the whole wide world.  They are very sweet and protective.  The third dog is a pure bred Pembroke Welsh Corgi.  He is a brat!  We should have named him, Mr. Happy since he is the happiest dog I have ever seen.  He constantly smiles.  Would I get another one?  Yes, I would.  He is the runt of his litter and there is no way that he will ever be under 30 pounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment